Indulge in the warm and buttery goodness of this brown butter baked clam dip, a beloved family recipe that has been passed down through the generations. Whether you’re in the mood for nibbles or hosting a big game day gathering, this dip is a must-try. Join me as I share the recipe with a few twists that make it even more delightful.
Recipe type: Sides
Serves: 8 to 12 natural baking shells (depending on the size of shell)
Gather the following ingredients to make this mouthwatering brown butter baked clam dip.
- ½ cup butter, sliced into 6 to 8 pieces
- 1 onion (about 1 cup), minced
- 1 green bell pepper (about 1 cup), minced
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 cans chopped clams
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1½ cups coarse bread crumbs
To prepare and bake the dip, you’ll need the following items.
- Medium to large frying pan
- Small heat-proof bowl
- Small baking dish or 8 to 12 natural baking shells, lightly sprayed with oil
- Baking sheet lined with parchment paper (if using natural baking shells)
Follow these simple steps to create your own delectable brown butter baked clam dip.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt ¼ cup of butter in a frying pan over medium to medium-low heat until golden brown flecks appear. Whisk constantly and pour into a small heat-proof bowl, scraping any brown bits from the pan.
- Return the frying pan to heat, melt the remaining ¼ cup of butter, and add minced onions and bell peppers. Season with salt and pepper, and sauté over medium-high heat until tender (approximately 10 minutes).
- Pour in the chopped clams with their liquor, add the lemon juice, and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Remove the frying pan from heat, pour in the cooled brown butter, and stir in the breadcrumbs gradually (½ cup at a time). The breadcrumbs will absorb the clam and vegetable liquid, resulting in a thick consistency with no residual liquid.
- Scoop the mixture into natural baking shells or a small baking dish, and place them on a prepared baking sheet (if using shells).
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden browned and bubbly.
- Serve the dip with spoons and fresh lemon wedges for an extra zing. Enjoy!
Why You’ll Love This Brown Butter Baked Clam Dip?
Discover the delightful aspects of this recipe that will make it a new favorite.
- Super easy to make, requiring simple ingredients and basic cooking techniques.
- Offers a subtle taste of clams, perfect for seafood enthusiasts.
- Combines buttery goodness with a hint of crispy texture.
- Freezes well before baking, allowing you to enjoy it later by simply adjusting the baking time.
- And much more! Try it for yourself and discover your own list of reasons to love it.
Treat yourself and your loved ones to the heavenly flavors of brown butter baked clam dip. This family recipe, with its unique twists, will elevate any gathering or quiet evening at home. So go ahead, give it a try, and savor each delicious spoonful. Bon appétit!