1) Vibrantly Colored Veggie Packed with Nutrients
There are many varieties of beets – for this recipe, I suggest using red beets because of their vibrant color…they look oh so pretty in the jar. Besides that, pickled beets are proven to be nutrient-rich, truly an all-star veggie. Just one cup of these beauties has decent amounts of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, and is an excellent instant energy source.
2) Portable – Picnic and Potluck Ready
Once prepared and sealed in a jar these pickled beets can be easily carried off to any event…take along a few paper copies or click a photo using your mobile so you can share the recipe with the party-goers. Cool idea, huh? The ingredients in this recipe won’t spoil if left out on a picnic or buffet table.
3) A Tried and True Recipe with a Twist
My original recipe has worked perfectly for crispy refrigerator dills (recipe coming soon :), as well as my pickled quail eggs. For these pickled beets, I added a twist… instead of topping off the jar with water, I’ve used olive oil.
Not only does this give the beets a buttery taste, the leftover brine can be used as a dressing for salad or better yet, chunks of crusty bread dip. I bet you’ll come up with your own ideas too! Without further ado…here’s my recipe, bon appetite!
Quick Pickled Beets Recipe
- 6 to 8 smaller-sized beets; cooked and cut into chunks
- 3-4 dill fronds; feathery part of the plant
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic; peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- Olive oil
- Tightly pack beets into a clean quart-sized jar. Add in dill fronds, pickling spice, garlic, salt, cinnamon stick and vinegar.
- Top off the jar with good quality olive oil, just covering the ingredients. Ensure all ingredients are evenly dispersed and salt is dissolved by covering the jar and shaking vigorously.
- Keep in the refrigerator covered.
Keep in Mind:
When the beets are all gobbled up (they don’t last long in our house) strain and use the remaining liquid as a dressing or dip.